Happy Tuesday sister friends, and welcome to another week of TELL ME BOUT IT!
If you're new here, each week we dive deep into God's word about everyday topics of struggle to better help our walk with Jesus! This week we're talking EXPECTATIONS! What a word of struggle... but also a word that can lead to true FREEDOM depending on how you handle it, and that's what we are talking about today!
How are you treating expectations? Do you put them on God? Others? Yourself?
How do you feel pressure from expectations placed on you?
How do you experience stress because of the expectations you put on others, or even God?
Here's some DON'Ts with expectations to get you started on the right track:
- Don't put expectations on other people that they didn't agree to! This only leads to offense!
- Don't let your concept of God change due to expectations that YOU have for Him to do/come through on. This only makes us bitter toward a God who's timing is perfect and ways are higher.
- Don't expect God to bring you something that's not yours!
- Don't mistake God saying "wait" for God saying "no."
- Don't mistake taking expectations off of God for not trusting God. Fully trusting Him breaks down the chains of our own agenda we have in mind and how we think God should show up. Its all about HIS way and plan.
- Don't compare yourself with the world and it's expectations! Its time for the aimless striving to stop.
What can we expect from God?
- He wants to carry our burdens! Matthew 11:28-30
- We don't have to worry! Matthew 6:25-27
- He freely gives grace and mercy! Psalm 86:15
- We are forgiven! Matthew 6:14-15
- He has plans to prosper us! Jeremiah 29:11
- He wants to guide our steps! Proverbs 3:5-6
- He always wants to do good by us! James 1:17
- and sooooo many more! Girl, read your Bible! (LOL)
TRADE your toxic expectations for God's beautiful plan. His ways are higher. His thoughts are higher. Let Him replace your ashes from the pressure of expectations for His BEAUTY of trusting and dwelling in Him.
Ephesians 3:20-21 God can do anything, you know—far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams! He does it not by pushing us around but by working within us, his Spirit deeply and gently within us.