HAPPY 2020 and welcome to season TWO of the Tell Me Bout It Podcast, fam! We are OVERJOYED and giddy to be back in community with you guys every week! WOW! Season two will last through May, and if you haven't already binged listened to season one, its available now wherever you listen!
We can't wait to dive right in! In the spirit of the season of love, we are doing a three part series on LOVE: loving yourself, loving God, and loving others like Jesus would! If you missed it, you can also catch our stories study over "Love Your Neighbor" on our Instagram Highlight (@chosengirlmovement).
Mark 12:31 states one of the greatest commands spoken by Jesus Himself! "Love your neighbor as yourself."
This implies that in order to love others properly, we first must love ourselves properly.
Today let's dive into:
1. Knowing yourself in Christ.
2. Letting go of your past.
3. Getting over yourself: when self love can become a toxic idol.
IDENTITY IN CHRIST
How do you find your identity in Christ?
- Who's voice is loudest in your life with decisions, happiness, or disappointments? The answer to this is who you currently find your identity in!
- Apart from God we are nothing, linked up with God we are everything. We find true purpose and function!
- Verse on the body of Christ:1 Corinthians 12:27-27
- Even our weaknesses have purpose in HIM! Think of Moses. He had a stutter but God called him to speak. Talent is irrelevant when it comes down to being obedient to what God is calling you to be!
- There's a reason God made you, YOU!
- Our identity must be found in the Words of God! Look up what He says about you!
LET IT GOOOOOO
You cannot move forward in shame or guilt!
How do you move past your past?
- Recognize the feeling/problem.
- Have you apologized for it?
- Why are you dwelling on it?
- Rebuke the enemy! Change the channel in your brain!
Take thoughts active in HIS name! We have the authority!
12 Truths in Scripture about Shame and Guilt
1. 1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
2. Romans 10:13 For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”
3. Acts 3:19 Repent therefore, and turn again, that your sins may be blotted out...
4. John 3:17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
5. Psalm 103:8-12 The Lord is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love. He will not always chide, nor will he keep his anger forever. He does not deal with us according to our sins, nor repay us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far does he remove our transgressions from us.
6. Romans 10:9 Because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
7. Psalm 34:5 Those who look to him are radiant, and their faces shall never be ashamed.
8. Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.
9. 2 Corinthians 5:21 For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
10. 2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.
11. James 5:16 Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.
12. John 5:24 Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.
Jesus has extended His forgiveness and grace to us...will be accept it? Will you decide to move forward?
Mental Homework: What do you need to address with yourself?
GET OVER YOURSELF!
How do we know when self love has become a toxic idol in your life?
- When sin starts to be justified in the name of your own happiness.
- When sin can be justified well and easily in our lives.
- When you choose your way over what you know God is leading you to.
God loves us enough to know we must put Him first to ultimately find ourselves, true life, and true purpose.
God is the broken pattern! God is the answer! Seek HIM and watch your identity fall into place!
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Matthew 6:33